Saturday, May 3, 2008

Goodbye to an Old Friend

Yesterday I was ironing and found that my iron wasn't getting hot enough to get the wrinkles out of our clothes.  It's the beginning of the end.  We've had this iron since we got married and now it's starting to go out on us.  That's almost ten years.  So on Monday, or whenever I get to the store, we will be welcoming a new member into our appliances as we buy another iron.  Since we got so many years out of this one maybe we'll buy it's offspring...er... I mean newer model.  So long old Black N Decker 425 iron.  You've been flat out awesome!  You've done so much for us.  You were Michael's first lesson on what the word "hot" meant.  You kept us on the straight and narrow!  You've been with us through small and big iron boards, thick and thin iron pads, and stormy weather!  Never again will you leave rust spots on shirts that had to be ironed at the last minute.  So, would a cordless last as long as a corded iron?

5 comments:

Amy said...

Kaydee learned that lesson the other day. Maybe you need an iron like ours. Sal had it before we got married and it's still going strong. I've also been knocking it over a lot lately, oops. RIP Black & Decker.

pappasan said...

Our iron has lasted 10+ years. We may not use it as much as you though, I iron my shirts for church, Sumo irons skirts and shirts for church also. What we need is an ironing board. A larger one.

matt said...

a cordless iron? That sounds like a very bad idea. Recharging batteries is inefficient as it is, irons do nothing more than short circuit a battery in the first place! I understand the appeal having used an iron a few times. However I think your best bet, is to buy clothes that don't require ironing. One trick is simply to hang up your shirts right after they are done in the dryer. Some shirts are just wrinkly, but I've found some Ralph Lauren shirts that never require ironing, they are soooo worth it.

Unknown said...

Most of my shirts are Ralph Lauren, but they all seem to be wrinkly and need ironing, Which ones are you getting Mat?

Laura said...

What kind did you buy??? Do you love it? I am in the market for a new iron myself and would love to know what you recommend =).